It is always nice to change a regular breakfast menu. As the plain scrambled egg, cereals or fruits can become boring. A good start of the day can also contain a fresh avocado dish which is rich in several B vitamins and vitamin K, with good content of vitamin C, vitamin E and potassium. This simple vegetarian dish is rich in flavor, very cheap and easy to prepare.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Difficulty: 🍳 🍳 (2/5)
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 large tomato
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 multigrain baguette
- 2 large eggs
- 3-4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- salt, pepper
🍊 The Gourmand’s tip & trick 🍊
If you want to make sure that you buy a fresh and ripe avocado and you have to decide it in the shop whether to buy it or not, you only need to check 2 things.
1) The avocado has to be a little bit soft to the touch. If the fruit is too hard or too soft, then it is under- or overripe.
2) Take off the top stem of the fruit. If it comes off easily, then the fruit is definitely ripe. You need to check the color under the stem. If it is light green, then run with the fruit. If the color is a bit brownish, then the fruit might be overripe and can contain dark spots inside.
Cut the avocado in half sideways. To take out the seed carefully stab a pointed knife in the seed and pull it out. With the help of a spoon take out the flesh of the fruit and put it in a bowl. Use a strong fork to mash the avocado into a puree. Chop the tomato and red onion in tiny pieces and add it to the bowl. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and squeeze the juice of a half lemon on top. Season it with salt and pepper and mix the guacamole well.
Cut the multigrain baguette diagonally in 2.5 cm (1 inch) slices and toast them in a pan or on the grill. Place them on a plate and with a spoon scoop a generous amount of guacamole on each slice.
In a skillet or a pan put the half of the vegetable oil and set the fire on medium-low. When the pan is hot gently break one egg and slide it in the pan, taking care not to break the yolk. With a help of a spoon baste* the oil on the top of the egg. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the egg while it is cooking. You know when your egg is ready as the yolk starts to develop a thin layer of silky white texture. When the egg is ready the it out with a spatula and place it on the plate. Clean the pan with a paper towel, add the rest of the oil and then do the same with the second egg.
Your dish is ready and waiting you to taste it. Bon appetit!
- multigrain baguette > french baguette or toasted bread
- lemon > lime
- Vegan option: just leave out the eggs or toast some extra firm tofu
– pour juices or melted fat over (meat) during cooking in order to keep it moist.