We all like Asian food, especially the ones which are rich in flavor and have a balance between acidity and spiciness. This soup is great to eat it hot and also cold, it can stay in your refrigerator up to 5 days. All you need is some patience, as the beef needs some to become tender.
Prep time: 120 minutes
Difficulty: 🍳 🍳 🍳 (3/5)
- 450 g (16 oz) of lean beef chuck
- 6 large champignon mushroom
- 1 large onion
- 400 g (14 oz) of soybean sprouts
- 3 long green onion
- 2 handfuls of wild garlic
- 2 chilly peppers
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of mushroom soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of ground hot pepper
- 3 tablespoons of ground smoked paprika
- 5-6 large garlic cloves
- 3-4 liters (12-16 cups) of water
- 4 large eggs
It is important that you choose a lean piece of beef chuck – this way the meat will fall apart more easily. You also want to make sure that your meat is very fresh. Some people like it with less blood. To get rid of the extra blood soak your meat in cold water for around 30 minutes. Me personally I like the beef as it is.
Take a very sharp large knife and cut the chuck along the grain in 2-3 cm (1 inch) thick and wide slices. If the length of the meat is around 8-10 cm (3-4 inch) then you don’t need to cut it in half. But if the chuck is around 13-15 cm (5-6 inch) long, then also cut it across in half.
In a large soup pot add around 3 liters (12 cups) of water. Throw in the meat slices and the mushrooms. Cut the onion in half and add it as well. On medium heat cook the meat for around 70-90 minutes with the lid on.
In the meanwhile you can prepare your vegetables and spices. Add the soy sauce, the oyster sauce and the mushroom soy sauce in a small bowl. Pour the sesame oil on and add the ground hot pepper and smoked pepper. It is depending on your taste, but you can add less or more hot pepper. Chop the garlic into small pieces and add it to the bowl and stir them in. The flavor-mix is ready for your vegetables.
Chop the green onions and wild garlic into 3 cm (1 inch pieces). Save the top green parts of the onion and some wild garlic for the plating. Slice the chilly peppers into thin slices. Add the green onion along with the wild garlic, the chilly peppers and the soybean sprouts in a large bowl. Pour the spice mixture on top and mix them well with a help of a large spoon until all the vegetables incorporate the sauce.
After 70 minutes take out a piece of meat and check if it easily falls apart. If not let the beef cook for another 10 or 20 minutes. After the meat is more tender take them out along with the cooked mushrooms. Strain the remaining broth with a mash strainer to get rid of the onion pieces. Slice the mushrooms thinly, and take the meat apart with your hands into thin stripes.
Put the soup pot back on the burner and pour another liter (4 cups) of water in it. Bring it to a boil and add the vegetable-spice mixture to the broth. Cook the vegetables around 15-20 minutes on medium heat. You should check for saltiness and spiciness at this point. Adjust them to your taste.
After 20 minutes add the meat and mushrooms back into the pot and cook it for another 10 minutes. In the meanwhile boil 4 large eggs until they are hard (around 10 minutes). Peel the eggs and cut them lengthwise in half. In a soup bowl add a some soup with a ladle and place the 2 halves of egg on top. Sprinkle some green onion and wild garlic on top. Your cozy and warm soup is ready to serve.
- wild garlic > washed and soaked gosari
- soybean sprouts > mung bean sprouts
- champignon mushroom > shiitake mushroom
- boiled eggs > cooked sticky rise
- Vegetarian option: Instead of the meat you can grill some extra firm tofu. Use less water and cook only the mushrooms and onions at the beginning for just 30 minutes. Add the tofu just in the last 10 minutes of the overall cooking. Substitute the oyster sauce with vegetarian stir fry sauce.